David Graham @ Millbrae

Ayr 1xt beat 1st XV Aberdeen Grammar with a resounding 43-5 victory at Millbrae this afternoon, to make it four wins from four home games in the Tennent National League, Division 1.

Two tries per play from John Fulton and super-sub Ciaran Wood, plus scores from Johan Pottie, Jamie Bova and Man of the Match Cameron Reece gave the home side and fans something to cheer about during a entertaining encounter!

Aberdeen had the first chance to put points on the board but an early penalty just above the halfway line failed, allowing Ayr to regroup.

Moments later, inside the 22′, a fantastic flurry from Bova saw him play the ball wide past full-back Scott Watson, flicking wide again to John Fulton who looked certain to open the scoring, but was knocked out one meter from the try. line with a superb Aberdeen defence.

After eight minutes Ayr had his reward, Fulton again involved on the opposite side of a cut-off pitch from Millbrae, escaping tackles from Aberdeen, for his first try of the afternoon. Jamie Bova’s first attempt for the points sailed narrowly.

Five minutes later, Aberdeen equalized. A touch from a second penalty saw a few play-offs before Galloway hit the ground. Conversion for visitors also sailed just short of the posts.

John Fulton added his second try soon after with a brilliant solo run, this time no messing around with Jamie Bova adding his first points of the afternoon.

Bova was involved again 90 seconds later, this time much to the chagrin of the Millbrae faithful as he received a dodgy yellow card for a high tackle, many would have liked to see that one again!

Ayr sailed well for the ten minutes with 14 men managing to withstand the pressure from the visitors and they may well have scored again when Ruairidh Anderson was brought back 10m from the try line.

As Bova returned to action, Ayr extended his lead.

Ruairidh Sayce, who took several superb lineouts throughout the match, was involved in a maul which saw Ayr heading for the try line. Aberdeen held on but conceded another penalty, Ayr took it quickly and captain Recce hit the try line, Bova converting to make it 2/3 and put Ayr 19-5 ahead.

On the brink of half-time Ayr was again playing superb rugby in midfield, fast balls and plenty of off-the-ball movement saw Johan Pottie land just between the posts, allowing Bova to take their points tally to six. for the afternoon by adding a simple conversion.

A brilliant start to the second half saw Ayr immediately seek his 5th try of the afternoon, but the Aberdeen defense showed resilience as they looked for a way back into the game.

They almost did when Shepherd broke five tackles before finally being brought down by a swollen Ayr defensive line.

A treble change after 50 minutes would see the introduction of Ciaran Wood who was involved in the build-up as Jamie Bova scored his first try, but his conversion was again narrow.

With the match now out of sight at 31-5, Ayr continued to play excellent rugby.

A fine diving interception from substitute Nick Cox would unleash a fast ball which would find its way – at the end of the move – into the hands of Ciaran Wood, to score his first try of the game, with Bova making no mistake this time to go further . extend the advance.

Wood doubled his score five minutes later after some fine work from scrum-half Lucas Short to give Ayr his final points of the afternoon, in a game he controlled from start to finish!

Full time: Ayr 43-5 Aberdeen Grammar

Man of the Match: Cameron Recce

Ayr 1 XV
15. Watson 14. Howard 13. Anderson 12. Bova 11. Fulton 10. Anderson 9. Short 1. McIntosh-Floyd 2. Rae 3. Sayce 4. Hamilton 5. Leatherbarrow 6. Reece © 7. Pottie 8. McCallum

Aberdeen Grammar 1st XV
15. Shepherd 14. Finlayson 13. Hunter 12. Ryan 11. Renton 10. Knudson 9. Ritchie 1. Ahmanache 2. Spence 3. Galloway 4. Robertson 5. Gamba 6. Burnett 7. Robertson 8. Salem