The series finale takes place Saturday at 1:00 p.m. and will air on Big Ten+.
GAME 1 RECAP
Rutgers got off to a quick start in Game 1, with Ryan Lasko start with a single. He would score later in the inning on a Nick Cimillo sacrificed fly. Penn State would respond with 4 runs over the next three innings to take a 4-1 lead.
The Scarlet Knights were unfazed, scoring 5 unanswered points to take a 6-4 lead. Dale Stanavich slammed the door with a five-out save, his fifth of the season.
Jared Kollar started for Rutgers and went through some rough patches to fight for 5.1 innings. After the Nittany Lions homered to take a 4-1 lead in the third inning, Kollar then retired seven of the next eight batters to complete 5.1 innings of work. He allowed 4 runs, struck out five and walked one.
“Jared was able to stay there and get by for a bit. Then we had some big hits. Ryan Lasko have a very good day. Nick Cimillo had great success. And then Dale was able to shut it down for us,” the head coach said. Steve Owens said of the game. “These are tough games, Big Ten games. It was a tough win.”
Sam Bello would come on to relieve Kollar in the sixth, getting the final two outs of the frame. Bello would go 2.0 scoreless relief innings, before making way for one out in eight for Stanavich.
- T1 | Ryan Lasko starts the game with a single, steals second, goes to third on a wild pitch and scores on a Nick Cimillo sacrificed fly. UK 1-0.
- B1 | Billy Gerlott triples to start the bottom of the first and scores on a Jonny Piacentino single. Tied 1-1.
- B3 | Derek Cease walks, advances to third on a single and scores on a sacrifice fly by Matt Wood. Food 2-1.
- B3 | Josh Spiegel hits a two-run home run. Power supply 4-1
- T4 | Jordan Sweeney hits an infield single with the bases loaded, scoring Chris Brito. Power supply 4-2
- T5 | Evan Sleigh blasts a solo home run over the right field wall. Power supply 4-3
- T5 | Tony Santa Maria hits a double on the left field wall to score Richie Schiekofer and Nick Cimillo. UK 5-4
- T7 | With runners on the corners, Chris Brito fields in a double game, allowing Evan Sleigh score from third. UK 6-4.
GAME 2 RECAP
In game two, RU got off to another fast start, scoring 4 runs in the top of the first inning.
Ben Gorsky got the start of a game where the Scarlet Knights would need the help of every available arm. He would go 2.1 innings, allowing 3 runs. Justin Sinibaldi relieved him, throwing 1.2 frames aimlessly.
After Sinibaldi, Kyle Muller and Jayson Hoopes would each pitch an inning, each awarding 2 runs. Nate McLain pitched a scoreless seventh, while Sam Portnoy and Jared Mazza combined for a 1-run ninth.
For Penn State, two homers from Jay Harry and 3 RBIs from Matt Wood led them to a Game 2 victory and a split in the doubleheader.
“We scored enough points to win this game,” Owens said of Game 2. “It’s hard to win a double. We’ve already won two this season. Today the other team took advantage of us making mistakes on the mound. We knew there would be points scored. We just have to be better in all areas tomorrow.”
- T1 | Ryan Lasko starts the game with a walk, ranks third on a Danny DiGeorgio simple and marked on a Evan Sleigh Single. UK 1-0
- T1 | Nick Cimillo hits a double off the wall in center field to score Danny DiGeorgio and Evan Sleigh. UK 3-0
- T1 | Tony Santa Maria simple in the other direction, striking Nick Cimillo. UK 4-0
- B2 | Jay Harry hits a solo home run to right field. UK 4-1
- B3 | Matt Wood triples down the right field line to score Billy Gerlott. UK 4-2
- B3 | Josh Spiegel triples to left field, scoring Matt Wood. UK 4-3
- T4 | With runners on the corners, Danny DiGeorgio dropped a single into left field to score Garrett Callaghan. UK 5-3
- B5 | Jay Harry hits a 2-run home run to right field. Tied 5-5.
- T6 | Tony Santa Maria starts with a double, goes third on a groundout and scores on a wild pitch. UK 6-5
- B6 | Johnny Piacentino hits a sacrificial fly to deep left field, scoring CJ Pittaro. Tied 6-6
- B6 | Matt Wood throws a sacrificial fly to right field, scoring Billy Gerlott. Power supply 7-6
- B8 | Matt Wood hits a sacrificial fly to score CJ Pittaro. Power supply 8-6
The Scarlet Knights end their series at Penn State tomorrow at 1:00 p.m., with the game streaming via Big Ten+.
“We need a very good start from Natalie Florence tomorrow.” Owens said. “He needs to step up like a 5and the year the child does it and gives us a chance to win
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all the latest news and updates. For specific baseball updates, follow the program on Twitter (@RutgersBaseball)instagram (@rutgersbaseball) and Facebook (/BaseballRU). For additional updates, please download the Scarlet Knights app via the app store Where play at the store.